IN WHICH WILL BE FOUND WHAT IS SET FORTH THEREIN

Sunday, January 18, 2009

We Are One



One of the first things I was to witness when my family moved to Washington, D.C., in 1963 was the March on Washington.  Though I was too young to comprehend the full dimensions of what took place that day, the vision of all those people coming together on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in the cause of justice and freedom stayed with me for the rest of my days.  Not too long after, Sam Cooke composed his song "A Change Is Gonna Come," which I first heard sung by Otis Redding.

Today I saw an incomparable coming toether of generations as Bettye LaVette and Jon Bon Jovi met before Lincoln's gaze and a nation's . . . four decades on, with President-Elect Obama before them, they sang for all of us, "a change has come."



They leave it to us to make that true . . . 










No comments: