IN WHICH WILL BE FOUND WHAT IS SET FORTH THEREIN

Monday, September 12, 2011

GYPSY SCHOLAR PART I - Guelph


My friend Cecil Giscombe has talked about the "No Book Book Tour." I've got a book, but this is more of a circuit riding affair I'm commencing. First up: The Guelph Jazz Festival, where I was invited to give one of two keynote addresses at the colloquium. Since I'm leaving on another mission in the morning, I'll just post these few photos from the first day of Guelph for now, but I'll be back with more in a few days.






Ajay Hebble and all the staff and volunteers put together a remarkable week in celebration of musical improvisation. The colloquium got started with a reading and interview featuring Caribbean/Canadian writer Cecil Foster, author of Blackness and Modernity.








The rest of the day brought a host of panelists discussing the pedagogy of improvisation (including teaching improv in a big band or a choral context), work on Jack Kerouac and jazz, reconsiderations of Bix, and a workshop on contact improvisation in dance.

That evening there was a wonderful exploration of the music of Steve Lacy by a Canadian group, The Rent.


No comments: