IN WHICH WILL BE FOUND WHAT IS SET FORTH THEREIN

Sunday, June 03, 2012

ALA Days 3 & 4

Saturday got off to a fresh start with papers on Frederick Douglass, Thomas Dixon and Oscar Micheaux. I left that one and walked into a panel on the New York School poets.  Then it was time for my own panel, the third in the Gil Scott-Heron series, this time with Tyrone Williams and Tony Bolden, chaired by my colleague Shirley Moody-Turner. Afraid I forgot to take any photos or record that one.  Ah well,,,,,  The evening was capped with a reading by Lorna Dee Cervantes, who has just published Ciento, a volume of 100 100 word love poems.  (When my ear  hears that title, my skeptic's brain hears "lo siento.") -- Dinner that night with Tyrone Williams and Evie Shockley.


 

Despite which I managed to attend all three sessions on the final morning.  Good to see Joe Weixlmann, newly escaped from administrative duties.  I ended my conference by attending a quite good panel titled "Reading Race in Contemporary Culture." Interesting title; hmmmmmm . . .

















That last session title seems to have emerged from the San Francisco recomposition room . . .

No comments: