IN WHICH WILL BE FOUND WHAT IS SET FORTH THEREIN

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

In Lawrence



I'm at the University of Kansas for their Institute for Rethinking Literature. Whenever I'm about to start rethinking literature, I like to meet up with a poet for drinks first. Jim McCrary (note the San Jose State baseball cap here depicted) kindly welcomed me to the Free State Grill, where I got a John Brown Tee shirt. Jim shared his memories of David Bromige with me. Max Douglass was someone Jim had known both in California and Kansas -- If you've never heard of Max Douglass, you should first read Kenneth Irby's great poem For Max Douglass and then you should try to locate a copy of Douglass's Collected Poems.

From Jim's own poetry, here's a passage out of Dive, She Said:

Some too will agree
it doesn't go
towards our finish
when that might be
fence and
moving fast

Ahh what's the use
we do go on
this old way

No comments: