IN WHICH WILL BE FOUND WHAT IS SET FORTH THEREIN

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

LAWRENCE OF KANSAS


Just back from two weeks at the University of Kansas, where I'd been invited to teach a graduate seminar for their Summer Institute for Rethinking Literature. The subject of the seminar, and of the public lecture I delivered while there, was contemporary African American Experimental Poetry and Poetics.

Found myself working every day with an exciting and engaged group of scholars from whom I learned much in the course of our discussions.

I don't know what your idea of a summer vacation might be, but three hours a day reading and talking about poetry with this group was just what I needed to get through that heat wave that enveloped most of the country this July.







As it turned out, my time in Kansas coincided with the final stages of the Women's World Cup, so it was off to the Buffalo Wild Wings Grill to watch the championship game on their big flat screens.











At the close of the seminar, we all went to "The Pig" (don't ask) for a final and joyful goodbye.



No comments: