IN WHICH WILL BE FOUND WHAT IS SET FORTH THEREIN

Monday, July 06, 2015

China 2015



I was back at Central China Normal University this summer to teach a graduate seminar in the School of Foreign Languages on the subject of jazz writing. Our texts were Mackey and Lange's Moment's Notice and Maxine Hong Kingston's Tripmaster Monkey: His Fake Book. Things started off with a lecture I gave on the Dasein poets' interactions with jazz, and then we dove into our readings and discussions.


This year I was staying in the "foreign experts" apartments, which was on the same street as the foreign student dorms, which is how I wound up playing guitars outside with my new friends from Madagascar.






While I was there, I participated in a full day poetry symposium. Steve Tracy (U Mass Amherst) and Jonathan Stalling (who was visiting at Peking U) and I all delivered lectures, followed by talks, poetry readings and musical performances. It was a wonderful opportunity for exchange, and I got to meet poets Zhang Zihao, Jian Nan, Zeng Wei and Wei Tianwu.





























No comments: