IN WHICH WILL BE FOUND WHAT IS SET FORTH THEREIN

Monday, June 27, 2016

WUHAN AND GUANGZHOU 2016

This was my fourth visit to China, my third year of teaching graduate seminars in Wuhan. This year's topic was Asian American poetry, and enrolled 33 MA and PhD students. I was delighted to find that some of the students selected some of the more "difficult" work (Tan Lin!) for their presentations to the class. (I learned from the students that one of Tan Lin's Chinese relatives is as well known in that country as Maya Lin is in ours.) I was also impressed that students presented on poems that raised sticky political questions for citizens of the People's Republic.






As he had done last year, my host, Lianggong Luo, organized a major symposium on poetry that gave the Americans on campus (Carmaletta Williams, Lauri Ramey, Steve Tracy, Martin Ramey) a chance for intellectual exchange with scholars and poets in China. Steve Tracy and I once more blew the blues for our hosts. I'll be putting a recording on YouTube.

























My seminar students on the fourth floor terrace of Teaching Building No. 3 -- 



I also had the opportunity to go to Guangzhou, where I had a wonderful exchange with English faculty at Nanfang University in their coffee shop.






No comments: