IN WHICH WILL BE FOUND WHAT IS SET FORTH THEREIN

Monday, July 10, 2017

THE 4TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ETHNIC LITERATURE - Wuhan 2017



Before taking up my teaching duties at Central China Normal University, I joined colleagues from around the world for the convening of the Fourth International Symposium on Ethnic Literature. In addition to such long time co-workers as Lauri Ramey and Steve Tracy, other American scholars on the scene were King-Kok Cheung, Ari Ofengenden and Toming Jun Liu. Other keynoters were Vladimir Biti, from the University of Viena, and Youngmin Kim, who I had met at the first University of Maine conference on American poetry I attended back in the 90s.





















My own keynote was another segment form my working through of Amiri Baraka's recordings with musicians.  Look for that to go on for some time. Lianggong Luo gave a great talk on Langston Hughes's visit to China. I made it to a few of the "Young Scholars" sessions, hearing a good talk on Maxine Hong Kingston's verse memoir, and another on my friend Shirley Geok-lin Lim's writings.





















No comments: